Architect: Richard Andrews Architects, project overseen by Associate Lewis Shaw
Works Undertaken: Feasibility and planning, detailed design and tender plus contract and project overseeing.
Client: Private Domestic Client
Cost of Work: £100,000+
Contactors: TLC Building Services
To create a contemporary single story rear extension, with enough room to accommodate a kitchen, dining space and family area. Also to add a side extension to make room for an office and library space.
Unique Design Features – Once finished the exterior to the property showcases a beautiful white render contrasted against timber cladding. A wrap around window on the corner of the office side extension enhance natural light. Crittall style doors frame the view from kitchen to garden and allow a smooth transition from inside to out and the addition of skylights and high placed windows spanning the width of the extension bring a bright and airy family space.
Our clients contracted TLC Building Services to complete the work with ourselves overseeing the contract administration and project management.
There is still a tiny bit more work to do before the propery is complete (namely applying the crisp white exterior.) However already we can see what an improvement the new living space has made for our clients. If you're thinking of embarking on a similar project, we'd love to get involved. Contact the team on 01633 744144 or email email@example.com.
Our clients approached us looking to create a sympathetic double storey extension to their cottage home. Having already being in possession of a design they were happy with, we were instructed to oversee the project works. We implemented the RIBA domestic works contract between our clients and their chosen contractor, Fern Bay Properties, ensuring over five seperate site visits that all work was being completed safely and adhered to both building regulations and the client's original plans.
We regularly undertake a range of commissions varying in scale and complexity. We can take on 'Full Service Appointments' which run from conception to completion and we are also happy to assist clients in any isolated project stages. If you would like to talk to us regarding your own scheme, please contact the team today to book a free consultation.
There are a number of ways a person may seek to find an architect – most commonly through word of mouth referrals, via search engine sites or by asking on social media for recommendations. If using the latter how do you know which firms are competent and reliable to do the work you need, in the way you imagined?
Our top tips for choosing an architect!
- The first necessary step is to check they are registered with the ARB. (Architects Registration Board). The ARB was set up by the government to keep an official register of all individuals and practices who are legally entitled and qualified to use the patented term ‘architect’. You can check the architects register here – http://architects-register.org.uk/
- Whilst not a necessity we strongly advise using a RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) Chartered Practice. (Click here to read why you should a choose a RIBA Chartered practice.)
- Thinking about your project do you need a specific skillset or service? For example, if you are working on change of use scheme it would be beneficial to choose a practice which can demonstrate experience within that sector. We recommend asking how many projects of that type the practice has worked upon, if there are any finished buildings you can visit or if they can supply a contact for testimonial.
- Put together a shortlist of architects to speak to in person about your plans. Most firms will offer a free consultation or initial discussion. This is a great opportunity for architects to demonstrate their creative ideas and general enthusiasm for your project.
- Ask the practice for their track record with approvals – try and suss out if they have a good relationship with local planners.
- The fee proposal – don’t necessarily go for the cheapest bid. Weigh up everything you have learnt about your potential architect so far. A good practice will always devote time to explaining their fee proposal and clarifying any points you may be unsure of.
Want to read more like this? Delve into our previous blog topics –
We would love to discuss your plans and ideas, contact the team today on 01633 744144 to arrange your free one hour consultation!